Take a moment and think back on your happiest childhood memories – there’s a good chance there’s that one family holiday or reunion that always comes to mind.
What do you remember most about it? How does it make it feel? Was it the place or the people you were with that made it special? It will be different for each one of us, but above all – these are the experiences that stay with us, shape us, and become our life stories that will reminisced about for years to come.
Why you should plan your next family adventure now
Gathering with your loved ones is a real cause for celebration! With many of us being separated for unprecedented time over the past year and a half, it’s no wonder that we’re all eager to round everyone up – kids, parents, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles – and experience somewhere new together. Family time is precious. Whether it’s to celebrate a milestone, special occasion or simply the right time to reunite, multigenerational travel is a growing trend and it’s easy to see why as it allows the time and space to reconnect across the generations.
Destinations that offer groups the ability to connect, while also enjoy experiences independently or in smaller groups, are sure to strike a chord. Even if you visit with each other regularly, the quality of time spent together while on vacation is unparalleled as you leave everyday routines and distractions behind. Grandparents and grandchildren will find valuable time learning and playing together, while parents take some much-needed time out together as a couple.
Reunite in the Wilderness
At Nimmo Bay, we invite you to escape with your family on a personalized experience. We’ll assist you in designing the journey and elevating the experience with activities intended to immerse everyone in the wild setting. Whether you’re looking for an adrenaline-fuelled adventure, an educational journey, or a more relaxed retreat – our team will work with you to ensure that everyone’s interests are considered and expectations are more than exceeded.
Amongst the Great Bear Rainforest, unforgettable experiences are just around the corner. Enjoy boat or helicopter access to some of the world’s most pristine landscapes. With activities such as bear watching, remote fly-fishing, and glacier exploring, your family time at Nimmo Bay is truly yours to design. At the lodge, life is naturally calm and comes with a waterfall, hot tub, and a floating sauna. In addition, we invite you to feast on distinctively West Coast cuisine and then spend your evenings gathered around the fire dock beneath the stars. Each journey is unique, and there’s no time like the present to plan your family escape.
5 Reasons to Plan a Wilderness Family Escape
Strengthen Family Connections
The family that plays together, stays together. Strengthen your family ties by spending quality time connecting with each other in the wilderness. When you take a vacation together, your family becomes a team, where shared experiences foster lasting connections. What better way to bond than by spotting a playful pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins, catching your very first fish, visiting 10,000-year-old glaciers, or watching the sun set behind the mountain range?
Disconnect to Reconnect
A change of environment is good for everyone. In our increasingly busy and screen-dependant world, family time is one of life’s most cherished commodities. Family adventures are a great opportunity to break the routine and get away from it all. Replace your devices with destinations and watch how everyone in your group starts to see and appreciate the wonderful world around them. Slow down, savour the finer things in life and gain a new perspective on what is truly important. We guarantee that your time at Nimmo Bay will be a meaningful, and necessary, change of pace and place.
Learn Now, Appreciate Forever
Travel exposes you to new places, people, cultures, and activities. Powerful learning experiences lead to new interests, opening your eyes to the world and teaching important life lessons along the way. Our guests leave Nimmo Bay with a newfound awareness, appreciation, and respect for the land, the ocean and the abundant wildlife found within the Great Bear Rainforest. Share in experiences that open your eyes and stir your soul.
The wilderness is a magnificent classroom for all ages, wouldn’t you agree?
Health and wellness
Outdoor play and quality time spent in nature have significant health benefits, improving the overall well-being of everyone in your family no matter their age. Vacations are important for the body, mind, and spirit, especially when nature is involved. The benefits of connecting to nature have been well documented in numerous scientific research studies and publications, and at Nimmo Bay, we couldn’t agree more. Engaging in the natural world ignites your senses, builds creativity, and rejuvenates the soul.
Create Memories to Last a Lifetime
Connect with your loved ones, detach from your daily routine, expose your family to new experiences and perspectives, get up close and personal with nature, and create lasting memories. Nimmo Bay is all about the moments that take your breath away and the stories that you will hold close to your heart forever.
“Our group included three generations; grandparents, son and daughter-in-law and two wonderful grandchildren. Our journey began in Port McNeill, where we boarded a sleek, custom built boat that took us to our destination of Nimmo Bay. During the ride our grandchildren were thrilled as we approached a colony of sea lions, hauled up crab nets and enjoyed a generous and tasty lunch.”
“As a family, we had the opportunity to take part in a variety of activities; from baking and kayaking to beach combing and locally sourced dinners on remote shores. The days were filled with natural wonders and surprises, such as viewing a grizzly digging clams on the beach. It was especially wonderful to share this experience with our grandchildren. During quiet times, we enjoyed the simple pleasures of reading books, playing games and solving puzzles with our extended family without the distractions of the modern world.”
“The team at Nimmo Bay are well trained and knowledgeable, striving to make all ages feel welcome and comfortable while catering to individual interests and wishes. A unique, educational, and memorable experience for all ages.”
– L & V McCormick
6 Quick Tips For planning A Multigenerational Holiday
- Decide on the destination, together. Make sure everyone feels included and expectations are managed. It’s possible to check off most of the boxes on your list, but you need to know what to look for first. Consider the oldest and the youngest family member – if they can handle it, chances are the rest of the family can too.
- Designate one trip planner. Once you’ve decided on your destination, have a designated family member gather information from others about their interests. They can then create an itinerary, share it with the group, take feedback into account, and adjust it accordingly.
- Don’t pack it in. While on the topic of itinerary – try not to over-schedule your days with too many activities. Leave some downtime pencilled in and encourage spur of the moment fun – this is where the magic happens!
- Agree to do some activities separately. With multigenerational groups, there are bound to be different interests and trip intentions. Looking for an adrenaline-fuelled adventure? Enjoy whale-watching or glacier-touring. Something fun for the kids? Water tubing or snorkelling in the bay could be just the ticket! Mom and Dad in need of some alone time? Private afternoon at the floating sauna dock as you leave your cares and worries behind. Low mobility? Take a seat on the dock, savour the view with a glass of wine and a good book.
- Prepare for surprises and be flexible. You can only plan so much – be ready for delayed travel, unexpected rain, scraped knees or any other surprises that may crop up. If you keep an open mind, these unforeseen detours can lead to new adventures and amusing stories.
- And – take lots of photos!